Zoning Permits & Review

After you have completed a pre-application conference and are ready to submit an application for your project's permits, your project will be subject to zoning review. 

The Site Plan division of the Development Services Department reviews many different types of projects for zoning compliance including Level I, II, and III projects, Conditional Use Permits and Conditional Zoning, Rezoning,  Sign PermitsFlexible Development requestsMajor and Minor SubdivisionsHome Occupation PermitsOutdoor Merchandise and Pushcarts and Zoning Variance applications. The application review process depends on the size and type of project, as listed below.

Level I: Projects less than 35,000 square feet or less than 20 residential units

For Level I projects, the Development Services Center will assist you with submitting your project for zoning review. The Level I application for project permits covers zoning requirements. 

Level II, III, Conditional Zoning, Conditional Use Permits & Major Subdivisions: Projects more than 35,000 square feet or 20 or more residential units

The Planning & Development Department coordinates zoning review for all projects larger than Level I through the Office of the Technical Review Manager.

Application packets for specific types of projects are available through the Technical Review Committee web page.

Home Occupation Permit Application

Home Occupations are permitted in all residential districts provided that certain standards are met. Applications are accepted in the Development Services Center and are reviewed by Planning Department staff. A permit fee of $52 is required when the application is submitted.
 Home Occupation Application

Rezoning Applications

Rezoning requests are heard by the Planning & Zoning Commission and the City Council. It is strongly recommended that applicants meet with a planner before submitting their application. Please call the Planning Department at (828) 259-5831 and ask to speak to a planner who handles rezoning requests to schedule a pre-application conference.
 Rezoning Application Packet

Sign Permits

Signs are regulated by the City of Asheville to stabilize and protect property values, to maintain the visual attractiveness of the city and its environment, and to ensure public safety. Regulations govern the location, size, and type of signs and require that most signs have Zoning and/or Building permits. No sign – temporary, permanent, permitted, or unpermitted, with the exception of governmental signs – may be displayed in a public right-of way, on a utility pole, or roadside structure (e.g. trash can, bus stop, tree, bench). Such signs are subject to immediate removal by the City of Asheville and may be reclaimed within 7 days of removal for a $50/sign reclamation fee.

About Sign Permits

Nearly all outdoor signs in Asheville require a sign permit. Some temporary signs do not require a permit, such as an on-site yard sale sign or real estate sign (see the section below about temporary signs for more information). City staff can assist you in determining whether a sign permit is needed by calling (828) 259-5450.

Permit Fees

Permanent sign fees vary depending on size and type of sign. Please call the Development Services Center at (828) 259-5846 for permit fee questions. Temporary and A-Frame sign permits are $25.

Application Requirements

Application forms must be complete and include site location, applicant name, business name, name of the sign contractor, type of illumination, sign dimensions, and linear measure of store frontage (for multi-tenant businesses). Applications must also include a drawing, to scale, of the sign with all dimensions and text displayed. For attached signs, the sign drawing should also show where the sign is located on the building and the means of attachment to the wall or mounting surface. Photos of the building, lot, and/or proposed sign are very helpful.